How to test 7-stick trailer plug with multimeter?
What will you need?
We prescribe utilizing Innova 3340 for this undertaking
You’ll require the accompanying things so as to test it viably:
- 7-Pin Trailer Plug
- Running Vehicle
- Multimeter with dark/red tests that can test for volts
- 2 individuals – one to run the vehicle and one to run the multimeter
- Replacement Light Bulbs (Optional)
- Sandpaper (Optional)
- Electrical Contact Cleaner (Optional)
The setup of the 7-stick Trailer Plug
The 7-stick trailer attachment is confused in light of the fact that it has 7 unique associations across the board (watch the video directly underneath this passage). You may have different sorts of fittings which have 3, 4, 5 or 6 unique associations yet for this one, I’ll center around the most widely recognized 7-stick plug. 7 blade trailer plug wiring diagram
The fitting is quite often set up in precisely the same style, despite the fact that in the event that you don’t know you can allude back to the first control you got when you acquired it. An average 7-stick fitting will be arrangement in the underneath design:
- Top right = 12-volt hot lead
- Middle right = right turn/brake light
- Bottom right = brake controller yield
- Bottom left = ground
- Middle left = left turn/brake light
- Top left = tail and running lights
- Center = switch lights
Step by step instructions to Test 7-Pin Plug with a Multimeter
To test if any of the wirings in the 7-stick fitting isn’t working you should utilize your advanced multimeter and guarantee it is equipped for testing for volts. Turn your multimeter to the V image on a multimeter dial. Next, embed your dark lead into the COM port and your red into the voltage port. 7 blade trailer plug wiring diagram
- When your multimeter is set to test volts, you’re prepared to begin. You can embed the dark test into the base left space of the 7-stick plug as that is the establishing wire. Supplement the red test into the upper right opening of the fitting. In the event that you are getting a perusing close to 12 volts, at that point it implies that power is streaming all through the fitting regularly. On the off chance that your multimeter is demonstrating no outcomes, it implies either the establishing or the info isn’t working.
- Now to test every one of the lights to decide whether any of the wirings for each light isn’t working you will leave the dark test into the establishing space of the attachment. You would then be able to move the red test into the primary light opening – we should pick the center right space in the fitting for the correct brake light.
- Ask the individual helping you to then push on the brake light. On the off chance that the stick wiring for that is working accurately you should see 12 volts show up on your screen. On the off chance that you don’t perceive any outcomes, at that point the wiring for that light is never again working.
- If it is working, at that point you can essentially move the red test to the following opening in the attachment and test every one of the brake lights, signals, and switch lights until you’ve disposed of any of them as issues.
In the event that you have a particular light worn out and you don’t know what is causing it, testing for congruity is one thing you can do, yet there are extra tests you can do that may help reestablish capacity to the circuit.
- Clean the connector attachment utilizing an electrical contact cleaner to help guarantee the fitting is free from earth and residue. You can utilize a brush to wipe out within contact pings to guarantee it’s perfect which regularly can cause a distinction in the circuit.
- Check the ground wire to see that it’s associated tight enough to the metal casing of the vehicle. On the off chance that it’s free or not associated with the metal it may not be getting grounded which can make your circuit be broken.
- Replace the bulbs which are not filling in as it might just be a defective bulb and not an issue with the 7-stick plug. This is frequently the principal thing you ought to do as it most generally will be a worn out bulb.
- Sand away erosion on the attachments which can frequently happen from water getting into the attachment. You can utilize sandpaper by moving it around a metal bar and interfacing it with tape or paste. At that point embed it into the attachment and pound out any consumption.7 blade trailer plug wiring diagram